Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Since it is officially autumn...

My profile photo was taken at a corn maze near Clever last fall. But, since I am from Iowa, it seemed appropriate. I detassled corn before there were machines to do it. Nothing like Iowa Sweet Corn!!

My nephew turned 13 on the first day of autumn. Happy Birthday, Sweet-Alien-Monkey-Boy!

My physician believes that I have diabetes and though I do not disagree that I have metabolic syndrome, I am not sure I have crossed the line to full-blown diabetes. While some of it is definitely denial in action, there is a substantial difference between having it and not having it from a biological perspective. I studied dietetics at college, but I did not finish my degree. I avoided everything about diabetes that I could, except when it crossed over into pregnant women's issues. I do remember that if a person is diagnosed with diabetes (not gestational diabetes) it is like automatically taking 15 years off of your life. Cheery thought. Perhaps in the back of my mind, even then I had an inkling that I might someday have an issue with this disease, and not because of genetics, but because my weight has been creeping up and up since I was about 29 years old.

Truly, I had a biased opinion of diabetes from the get-go. My grandmother on my step-father's side was morbidly obese and the memories I have of her having to give herself shots in the belly, of barely being mobile, of her foot problems, of struggling with diet and most of the time throwing the dietary caution to the wind and dealing with the consequences made me dislike the disease very much. It seemed restrictive and debilitating. There is also something to the fact that I am remembering my grandmother from childhood memories now viewed through an adult lens. I wonder how much that changes/improves/warps the truth in the memories.

But my reality is that God is leading me to learn some things. I am a very stubborn student, though I do not like admitting it. I am working on quieting my heart, spending more time in His word and praying for  His will, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment