Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 16, 2013

I looked up how much water a person needs if they exercise in short bouts (meaning not longer than an hour) from Mayo Clinic. They recommend 1.5 to 2.5 cups more a day to replace what is lost through sweat and breath. However, if you are doing more than that, the requirements change quite a bit because then you are getting into needing to replace electrolytes like sodium and potassium.

The Wheat Belly Cookbook in some ways is better than the original book. It has shorter lessons on much of the same stuff that is covered from the original. So far, though, I have not read repeat anecdotal stories. The recipe are definitely improved from the original as well. There is nutritional information, and are designated as kid-friendly or not. Definitely happy that there were some changes made for the better. Now I just need to get started. I did use the pumpkin muffin recipe from the original book and there were way too many walnuts for my taste, so I just cut them down from 1 cup to a 1/4 cup and added pecans to make the difference. Major hint: grind the nuts so there are not chunks- it makes a huge difference. I also added cardamom and cocoa. They were MUCH better the second time I made them.

I have also made the flax seed wrap. It is very filling and surprisingly tasty. Someone else made the granola and I tried theirs. It was good, but there was chia in there. I bloat like an inflatable bouncy house with just a tiny bit of chia. Will be looking in other places for additional recipes. One thing that Davis mentions in the Wheat Belly Cookbook is that because someone is wheat sensitive or has celiac disease, they should consider drastically reducing all their carb intake because too much can lead to diabetes. Personally, I think it is important to find a carb balance and not go too Paleo. His major concern is diabetes, but we just won't feel satisfied if we are not getting some carbs, and more than he recommends. He does point out that a lot of gluten-free food just adds simple potato or tapioca starch which are calorie fillers, but not necessarily nutrient-dense. Also, quinoa, as I said before is a nearly perfect food. Because of its high protein content, the carb action is somewhat neutralized. That is my two cents on some of the things I found in The Wheat Belly Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment